Monday, July 20, 2009

Why me is a good question when you suck. Exodus 2 - 5

It's a Sunday school bonanza! Moses in the reeds, Moses and the burning bush, Moses and the stick-that-becomes-a-snake-and-check-out-his-yucky-hand-toys-r-us-would-kill-for-it trick. But I know all that already from, well, Sunday school I suppose. It's the question Moses asks that intrigues me: Why me God? God might have taken spread bets on how often he gets asked that question daily, but nevertheless it's a good one coming from Moses: Why would God choose a murderous, culture-swapping, cowardly, stuttering, uncircumcised (I think) and doubting character to lead one of the most important events in Jewish History? Would you buy into O.J. Simpson's leadership vision?

I dunno. It's actually pretty amazing how persistent God is with Moses who completely lacked any semblance of Faith in this process and was probably no stranger to a good rack of pork ribs. God tells him what to say (Tell them the God of their fathers sent you), gives him the means (cleans out the Egyptians), makes him credible (the miracles), and even provides support in the form of a good public speaker (Aaron, his brother-ish).

I've always been one to think my own lack of faith is a problem for God, but maybe the church has drummed the wrong idea into me: It's not the blind faith I've come to think is so desirable. Perhaps it's a general life lesson too: Instead of "Why me?", should we not ask "Why not me?", and then find ways around the obstacles.

3 comments: