Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Giving Birth, Episode One. Exodus 5 and 6.

Labour unions would have had a field day with Pharaoh. When Moses does what God asks him to (let my people go), Pharaoh responds with "When pyramids fly!", and simply makes the Israelites work harder. "Management 101: Pharaoh's Way" became an instant best-seller. To make things worse, the Israelites blamed Moses and Aaron for dropping them in the poo, leaving the lads wondering what on earth they signed up for. Why are they not getting the results they expected? So they consult God, who once again tells them to just keep going as He (that's with a big "H") will make it happen as promised.

Eugene Peterson describes the freeing of Israel as a birthing process i.e. a painful one. I'm finding many of the goals I've set to be just that: painful! I want business results...now. I want to finish building my new house...now. I want to increase my fitness...now. Now, now, now, now! And in the process I want everyone to like me, to experience no resistance and never to stutter. OK I threw that last one in, but I'm just saying I think we need to get into Moses' sandles every once-in-a-while and learn to stick things out to reach good goals. Know what I mean?

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes hear myself or others make excuses for God as to why he didn't come through or do what and when we expect him to. But I've been thinking lately, that doing that is almost a waste of breath (apart from giving measly encouragement).

    The truth is that God does things that seem completely odd, and he sometimes seems to be a bit slow about sorting things out. Why'd He allow/let/make Pharoah harden his heart? Even if we don't know His plan, we know His intention and His heart.

    If I can just learn to trust him regardless of the circumstances I'll be a lot more content - but I have a feeling I'll only really learn that lesson too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trusting and waiting - remembering to "lean not on your own understanding" allowing Him to straighten the paths...difficult almost impossible to do, but enabled by daily prayer and specifically asking and reading His Word which is to each one of us.

    Enjoying your humourous approach and honest reaction to what you read in His word but feel the need to warn against possibly slipping into flippancy to amuse your readers.. this may happen down the line, but I pray not

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I don't mean to be anonymous but the options didn't make sense to me (dumb technologically impaired ex-blonde). I am Sue's sister Shaelene ( the ultra- fantastic one in the family, but don't tell Sue)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Shaelene - good advice. Thanks for the comments guys.

    ReplyDelete