Friday, July 24, 2009

A Pox on Your Head! Oh and your river....your house...Genesis 7 -11.

On some days I feel like a special bird that my friend Winston told me about: It flies around in ever-decreasing circles until it flies up it's own butt. Reading about the (famous) biblical plagues in Egypt has created this unpleasant vision-darkening experience for me.

I subscribe to the view that the bible is not intended to be historically accurate: Although it may be it's not a prerequisite for it's authenticity or relevance to me. So let's forget about the science or plausibility of the plagues and what might have happened when, I'm confused by dynamics of God's approach to nailing Pharaoh whilst working towards getting the Israelites out. He says it plainly to Moses at the beginning of chapter 7: I'm going to make Pharaoh's life hell but I'll also make him stubborn so that we can make it clear who's boss. Is that fair? I don't mean to be irreligious, but since my plan for this blog was to record my honest thoughts I really do think that's a bit rough on the fella. Or am I being overly simplistic? Maybe Pharaoh was the over-confident ruler who simply wouldn't accept he was wrong and needed the beating he got (and this was recorded as God making him stubborn).


I'll have to dig a bit deeper on this one - since this story was written after the fact, I guess it could be like the sports report on Monday morning where everything happened for a reason and there is always someone to blame. Excuse me whilst I engage with the idol of Internet information to find out more, let's see...www.google.com.....did Pharaoh have a right to be miffed....*search*......39341153 results......(you still here? This is going to take a while!)


Pharaoh Pious the III (not really)

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the passages I've always struggled with, and its raised again in Romans 9 where Paul talks about it in exactly the same terms. The conclusion of the argument: "The clay don't talk back to the potter."
    Paul rhetorically asks the question bluntly, "Is God unjust?"
    I still don't get it. Tell me when you've found the answer according to google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll keep you in the loop. It is a tough one hey? Going to search the Jewish views as they will be a little closer to the context I reckon.

    ReplyDelete