Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The last of Abe - God gets Fleeced

Abraham needs a wife for Isaac, so he sends a servant off with a list of requirements to find the right woman. Lucky girl. Anyway, the servant really wants to get it right, so he asks God the 'if' question: "If a girl does this and that, then I'll know she's the one". The girl does, and the next thing you know Rebekah is Isaac's wife. I think this is the first "fleece test" reported in the story so far.

My wife uses fleeces to perfection and God always seems to answer her. I never get an answer, and I seldom say "God, if you park a Ferrari in my garage, then I'll know to throw an extra 10 bucks in the offering bucket". OK, maybe just the once. But I wonder if there's a condition around this because asking God for a sign is pretty common in the bible. Is it Faith? Cazz always gets 'Jesus Parkings' at the malls simply because she expects to. Hmmmmm......

Do we use the 'if test' with God too much or too little?

1 comment:

  1. I don't know whether its a fatalistic mindset (It does seem to be at odds with this example), but I sort of think that regardless of what happens God will guide me in the right direction? If I don't get the parking right outside, its ok because the parking I get is the one I'm supposed to get.
    But then again I don't get too many parkings right outside.
    Wow. That parking analogy is just laden with spiritual depth...so much of depth...

    ReplyDelete